Review | Claimed by Gods by Eva Chase

Leave a Comment

Title: Claimed by Gods (Their Dark Valkyrie #1)
Author: Eva Chase
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Mythology, Reverse Harem
Overall:  ♥♥♥ 3/5
 I thought I'd survived everything life could throw at me. All I wanted was to keep my distance from the criminals I work for and get my little brother out of the hell that is our mother's house.

Then I died and woke up to four stunningly hot gods telling me I'm now a valkyrie.

Sly, sharp Loki. Jovial but ferocious Thor. Dreamily compassionate Baldur. Grim and secretive Hod. They all have something to teach me. And around them, my walls start to crack.

But the gods didn't summon me just for kicks. Their king is missing, and they need me to find him. The first three valkyries they sent on the job never made it back.

More power is awakening in me than I could ever have imagined—and the gods' enemies are more devious than even they knew. It's going to take every trick in the book for me to save myself, my brother, and these divine men who're getting under my skin in the most alluring way.

I'm Aria Watson, and Valhalla ain't seen nothing yet.

My thoughts                                                                                                                        

The cover had me hooked, the premise even more so. Even though I´m not a huge fan of harem - or in this case - reverse harem stories, I was still so intrigued by the norse mythology aspect that I gave Claimed by Gods a go.

Ari is not the typical damsel in distress, but rather described as a stubborn, brave and clever heroine. With her newfound valkyrie powers she makes one kick-ass protagonist that I enjoyed reading about. Ari is nice... but she surely ain´t one of my favourite heroines as I didn´t like her so much personality wise. I couldn´t really connect with her...like, at all. Maybe that is due to the reverse harem aspect - I found it rather irritating that every god seems to be really smitten with her right from the start. 


One thing I really struggled with throughout the book is the characterisation of Thor and Loki. It was pretty hard for me to actually picture the gods in my mind - I had an especially hard time with them on this part. Both characters have already been potrayed in movies and it was so hard to set this already formed picture behind me. I guess that´s what bothered me while reading Claimed by Gods the most and I´m not even sure it´s the authors fault. Since I didn´t have these difficulties with Ari, Hod or Baldur I guess that really means I couldn´t distance myself from the already set pictures in my mind.

My favourite God by far was Hod, a rather grim and antisocial character that had real chemistry with Ari right from the start. I would love to read more about them both in the future - since this is a reverse harem story I´m sure that this is gonna happen because Ari is supposed to get on with all the boys - am I right?

The book was rather short with a fast-paced story and just enough action to keep me glued to my kindle. An enjoyable and quick read with interesting characters that were introduced in a fashion that unfortunately left them lacking dephths. The author chose to introduce them all at once, rather than focusing on one or two, which in my opinion the story didn´t benefit from.

In Short                                                                                                                                

A nice and quick read with interesting characters and an intriguing storyline. Surely, not without its flaws, but still good enough to keep me wanting to read the next installment in the series. Maybe.

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Powered by Blogger.